Skip to content
Tips to Help the Environment with your Automobile
- Turn the engine off when sitting and waiting.
- Avoid idling your engine for long periods after a cold start.
- Block heaters have been found to reduce air pollution when used 2 to 3 hours before morning start-ups during the winter.
- Use public transit as often as possible.
- Use car or van pools instead of driving alone as an energy-saving way to get to where you’re going.
- Wash your vehicle only when necessary.
- Unwanted or leftover antifreeze should be taken to a garage that accepts it. Don’t let it go down the sewer drain or be spilled onto your lawn.
- Be sure to have your vehicle regularly and properly serviced, according to the recommended manufacturer.
- Keep your tires properly inflated at the pressures recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
- If you do your oil changes at home or in your own garage, be sure to collect it in an approved container and take it to a garage that accepts waste oil and can dispose of or repurpose it properly.